Crime Reporting and Prevention Initiatives
Protecting ourselves against crime is a high priority for all of us, and is one of the Association's highest priorities.
Report all crimes, suspicious behavior
Crime in progress
- Call 911 from a landline
- Call 510-777-3211 from a cell phone for crimes within Oakland (911 calls from cell phones get delayed because they route through the highway patrol dispatch)
Here's an overview of initiatives undertaken to make our streets and homes as safe as possible.
- Campaign launched in 2008 to organize all PPNA neighborhoods into sub-associations called MONs (Montclair Organized Neighborhoods). Check out our MON page to find which MON your home is in. Our MON structure supports the concept that neighbors who know one another are better able to protect against crime and get suspicious behavior alerts out quickly
- Encourage residents to join Nextdoor, Piedmont Pines' private list serve, so they can keep one another alerted to criminal activity and suspicious behavior. Our OPD Area Commander posts weekly crime statistics for our police beat (13Z) on Nextdoor. To join this listserve, send us an email with your street address, and after we verify you're a Piedmont Pines resident, we'll send you an invitation to join
- While OPD still struggles to come up to its ideal staffing levels, PPNA encourages neighborhoods to hire private patrols to augment police protection. Contact us for patrol companies working in Piedmont Pines.
- Publicize Neighborhood Guard's efforts to get license plate-reading security cameras widely installed throughout Oakland. Take a look at Neighborhood Guard's website to see if this is an initiative your neighborhood might be interested in.
- Ran year-long campaign in partnership with Montclair Safety and Improvement Council, to reduce mail and identity theft through proliferation of locking mailboxes. Mail theft has plummeted in our neighborhood because thieves look for easier prey.
- Maintain close relationship with beat command staff; provide residents with crime alerts, tips, statistics and progress on crime initiatives.
- Post on Nextdoor to alert neighbors of crimes or suspicious activity within Piedmont Pines.